Thursday, June 28, 2007

Week one

Thursday 6/21
So I survived my first day at Rohi. Lesson 1: always be prepared for anything. A speaking opportunity lurks in the dark and could strike at any moment. Anyone who has ever gone will say the same exact things. Today 5 minutes before the PE class I was told to put on my “soccer clothes” and teach a “skill to one of the classes. Uhhhhh what skills I got skillqzz? Aparently I got em. So I played volleyball with class 8. The kids catch on quickly and volleyball is probably one of the only sports I can keep up with them. Soccer um I could make the 4 year olds team.
Other than that my day was spent connecting with the staff at Rohi. I met with them today and had tea and Madazi which I guess could hold a candle to a donut without sugar. Afterwards the staff meets for prayer.
The kids are obsessed with digital cameras (thanks Suzi) they wanted me to take solo shots of them all day. Striking a pose and very important, get a full body shot. So it may look like I have OCD but I assure you…
Still no sign of elephants or Lions

Friday 6/22
Another day at Rohi and it started the same shaking the hands of the staff. My right hand is in permanent shake mode. If anyone gets near me I will shake their hand.
I taught some more PE classes (class 3 and 6) I played hackie sack dodgeball with the class 3. They play the game with one on each side and a couple kids in the middle and if you get hit you go to the ends. I taught basketball with class 6 They seem kinda bored so I decided to show me some moves. Show me your moves. Then it became fun.
They have chapel on Friday afternoon. Which if any private school did 2-hr chapel on a Friday afternoon starting at 2:40 students might file for child abuse. Eventually I will probably have to speak at one of those.
Afterward I had about an hour forty before I had to go. I didn’t know what to do with myself. It was raining so I walked outside and soak in Kenyan rain. I walked to the other side and saw Job. One of the cool kids, I will put a picture up to show you but I started to talk to him and Gideon and then it progress and I met the funniest kid, Aaron ( I have video of this kid so watch out). And like all sweet kids he has got the moves. So basically that our hour was spent dancing with class 4 and talking about the effects of gravity upon a gut.

Weekend

This weekend I cannot forget. Once I have saw the kids on the streets it makes the kids at Rohi. I would try to explain with word but that wouldn't do it justice. However since they gang leaders won't let us take pictures I will resort to words. We entered the alleyway and instead jump screaming you don't belong here. As I look into the eyes of the kids you would see Peter Pan's youthful- no- rules- nature but see a desperate child. Picture a mother bear protecting a cub, a kid protecting his bottle of glue while sucking it like a baby sucks on a pacifier. We gave then the word and then we placed bread down on the ground and the kid swarmed; punching and kicking, kicking and biting. No bag could hold this bread and withstand the rage

It is something you can only see for yourself.

Monday 6/25

My week starts once again and I am ready to teach some more PE. All I can say is I have a lot more respect for my teachers now. Dealing with a class of 30 kids I struggle to keep them all focused.

This is the last day I will give a run down and whatever I feel necessary I will say but the picture are more interesting so I will post them.

1 comment:

Nathan Hudson said...

You Know that eventually you will have to teach soccer, right.
HEHEHEHEHE
Good Luck. I miss you.
-Nathan